SMS Element 2 of Safety Promotion
The airline or airport must establish and implement processes and procedures facilitating effective communication throughout all levels of the organization. Operators should communicate their safety objectives, as well as the current status of any related activities and events. Operators must also encourage bottom-up communication, providing an environment that allows senior management to receive open and constructive feedback from operational personnel.
Compliance of this requirement is indicated when:
- Safety plans and strategies are communicated throughout the
organization to all personnel; and
Significant events and investigation outcomes associated with
the organization are communicated to all personnel, including
contracted organizations where appropriate.
This element is satisfied when all personnel are aware of the SMS, safety critical information and their role in respect of aviation safety.
- There is a safety communication strategy that includes
electronic communication, frequent meetings, SMS award
systems, employee recognition system, SMS bulletins etc;
- Significant events and investigation outcomes from external
sources are communicated to all personnel including
contracted organizations where appropriate;
- The effectiveness of safety communication is routinely
assessed and the strategy revised as required; and
- Safety-related information is proactively shared with other